Navigation :

 
LIFE IN KRAGUJEVAC
About Kragujevac
Sport and recreation
Cultural institutions
Manifestations in Kragujevac
 

 
INFORMATION FOR
Exchange students
Exchange and visiting staff
Incoming researches
Partner organizations
 

 
SERVICES & SUPPORT
Institutional logistic support
Key academic dates
How to reach Kragujevac
Visa
Registration upon arrival
Accommodation
Canteens
Health care and insurance
Serbian for Foreigners
Libraries and reading rooms
 

 
OTHER INFORMATION
Currency and exchange offices
Cost of living and shopping
Local transportation
Important and useful numbers
Communication and internet
 

 
ABOUT KRAGUJEVAC
 
 

 

Nowadays, the City of Kragujevac is getting more attractive all the time/day in and day out place to live in, to start one’s business, and interesting destination for foreign tourists. It is the city of competent and optimistic young people who are encouraged to stay here.

As Chech historian Konstantin Jiricek once said:

"...If you want to see true Serbian town, you should visit Kragujevac."

There are many cultural institutions that in keeping up traditions have gained regional, and some of them even national significance in the field of arts and culture, such as “Knjaževsko-Srpski“ Theatre, National Library “Vuk Karadžić“. City of Kragujevac, as a tourist destination, is significant due to cultural and historical heritage, natural surroundings, and good and hospitable people.
The center of the old capital city lies along the Lepenica River. The Holy Trinity Church (Crkva sv. Trojice) and the old Assembly are located on the right bank. The first major decisions of the newly formed Serbian state were debated and resolved here. The first Constitution of the restored Serbian state was voted into law during the famous 1835-assembly session on Sretenje (a religious holiday). On the left bank of the Lepenica, the Amidza (Amidža) Residence is the only structure from the royal complex that has been restored. The complex includes a Museum and Prince Milos’s Residence.

Like many other cities in Serbia, Kragujevac has a spirited pedestrian zone in the city center. The zone begins at the Square at the Cross and leads straight to Memorial Park in Sumarice (Å umarice).

Cultural-historic complex “The circle of Prince MiloÅ¡” includes buildings that, with their architecture and function, maintain a historic image of the city, from the period when Kragujevac was the capital (1818-1841), until the beginning of 20th century.

Amidža’s Lodgings is the only one still preserved building from the complex of MiloÅ¡’s court and it is a part of the National museum. It got its name after the headmaster of the Prince’s court, Sima Milosavljević-PaÅ¡trmac called Amidža (uncle). Amidža’s Lodgings was built in 1818 and it represents Balkan-oriental style. The lodgings served as a dormitory for the young men from MiloÅ¡’s escort.

The Old Church was built in 1818 by Prince Milos Obrenovic. The church is dedicated to the Descent of The Holy Spirit on Apostles. The first bell from this church rang in 1829. The old church was first bishop’s cathedral and court chapel in liberated Serbia. In the churchyard, almost all important decisions for the Serbian people were proclaimed. The First Serbian Constitution was adopted there in 1835.

The Old Assembly Building is suited near the Old church. The Old Assembly Building, which is still preserved today, was built in 1859, during the first rule of Prince Milos Obrenovic. It is a one-floor rectangular building, where very important decisions during 19th century were made. At the same place, in 1878, the Berlin Treaty was read, which brought international recognition and independence to Serbia.

The Prince Mihailo’s Palace was built in 1860. The building is European with one floor, built after the pattern of Austrian classicism, modest in its dimensions and ornaments. Directory of the National museum and museum’s library are now placed in it.

The building of First Grammar School in Kragujevac is one of the most monumental school buildings built in Serbia in 19th century. It was built in 1887 and then the first grammar school in Serbia, found in 1833, got its building. It was built in academic style. The architect is unknown. During the WW2, in October 21st 1941, German soldiers took many of the school’s students and professors to the execution. One of the classrooms was turned into the Memorial classroom, dedicated to this tragic event.

The Theatre Building was built in 1928 for the needs of the first theatre in Serbia. On Prince Milos’s call, Joakim Vujic arrived in Kragujevac in autumn of 1834 where he in 1835 founded “Knjazevsko-serbski” theatre. It is a one floor building with a pyramidal roof cupola. In front of the building there is a monument to Joakim Vujic.

The City’s Market Building was built in 1928/29 as the most beautiful market hall in Serbia and one of the first market halls in Europe. It contains style elements of academicism and secession.

One of the oldest industrial objects in Serbia is The Old Foundry Building. It was built in 19th century in the 80s, after the patterns of similar industrial objects in Germany and France. The Old Foundry Museum is now located in it.